I have been knitting and ripping on this sweater off and on for a long time. The yarn came from a grocery bag of hand-spun I got at a weaving center. I wanted a sweater that worked well with that extreme hand-spin look so I started with a garter-stitch yoke. The gauge varied dramatically from one skein to the next so, to even things out a bit, I had to alternate yarns each row of the stockinette body.
I'm not totally comfortable with the deep yoke because it stretches a lot and is a bit too deep, but I do like how it has an almost cape-like look. Originally the garter stitch yoke was narrower, but it cut across my bust in an unattractive way.
This is the first top down design I have knit and I mostly improvised as I went along. I have to say, I think I like bottom-up knitting better, because the most important part (framing the face and fitting the shoulders/ neckline) comes last when I feel I have a better sense of how the yarn/gauge/design are working.
Choosing buttons is often my favorite part of finishing a project. This had to have hand-made buttons that I have been saving for just the right sweater.
Chalk one down for the Fall Pallete Project !
I made the pants last fall. Proof to myself that I can make trousers.